Saturday, March 12, 2011

A Good Glass of Wine

Since I’m new to this blogging thing, I decided to start out with an easy one…wine.  What is better than a good glass of wine really?  Anything?  Coming home from a long day of work, putting on a good TV show and relaxing with a great glass of wine doesn’t get much better.

Truth be told, this gal’s on a budget, so my wine tastes are rather on the cheap side.  My experimentation comes through Publix BOGO’s and “2fers.“ Those are usually the first bottles I go for.  But a girl can have a great glass of wine on the cheap, and a few of these are right on the money in both taste and price.

Cupcake Vineyards
I think pretty much anyone who’s talked to me in person within the last few months knows that I’m pretty passionate about Cupcake wines.  I’ve tried almost all of the varietals – the Chardonnay being my favorite.  The label caught my eye, and then when I visited their website, the fact that they had cupcake recipes available to pair with their wines sent me over the edge.  Cupcakes and wine?!  Yes please.  Now, I tell myself that one of these days I’ll actually make one of their gourmet cupcakes to pair with the wine, but who am I kidding?  One look at the ingredient list sends this poor girl into a tizzy with the thought of trying to find them all at my neighborhood Publix.  Soooo….I settle for a glass and three Chocolate Kisses instead.  Works just as well!

Merdian Chardonnay
This wine was recommended to me by a client.  The best part, usually every couple of weeks it is two for $10 at Publix, which is a definite score.  It tastes great and does the job admirably, so I’m not gonna complain.  And it helps me keep my fridge stocked with a great Chardonnay for those days when you just need it.


So you’re probably thinking, these are all white wines – where are the reds?!  Well, I like reds too.  I don’t like to discriminate, but there’s just something about a nice, cold glass of white wine that’s so refreshing.  I’m slowly getting myself to drink more red wine, but it’s just not the go-to wine I think of when I’m in the mood for a glass.  When Cupcake wine was on sale a week or so ago, I did purchase the new Cupcake Red Velvet.  I had never seen that varietal, so I snatched it up.  It doesn’t hurt that some of my favorite cupcakes are Red Velvet ones either – and even as I type this I hear my grandmother yelling at me for eating them…all that Red Dye #40 or whatever.  I just can’t help it…so good.  Now if only they could make a Cupcake Wine that pairs well with Funfetti.  Delish!

To assist me in this endeavor of drinking more red wine, I purchased the Waring Pro Wine Chiller as a Christmas present to myself.  It has a great library of wines, and it’s supposed to chill your wine to the optimum serving temperature.  It takes a rather long time (longer than I’m wiling to wait), and it’s quite noisy.  The refrigerator would work just as well, if not better.  Final verdict - Don’t waste the money…it’s not something you’ll use as often as you might want.

All in all, my quest for a favorite red continues, so any recommendations are welcome!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Friend,
    In a quest for yummy reds, here are some of my favorites from my recent journeys....
    Bottoms up!

    Mendoza broquet malbec
    Tierra Luna Malbec & Shiraz
    Terra noble reserve Carmenere
    Frey petite sirah
    Bixler union island red
    LaRocca Cabernet Sauvignon
    LaRocca lush Zinfandel
    Honeyrun blackberry honey wine
    Don Miguel gascon malbec

    ReplyDelete